Upgrade slot
Donate

Help CSGO Crashes after 2 or more players connected on LAN

• Thread starter Thread starter Shnxxxx
  • Start date Start date

Shnxxxx

I tried to host a CSGO game using "sv_lan 1" and let my friends connect thru "connect IP/UDP", the first one connected and when the 2nd one tried to connect, the host, which is me, hangs and crashes. Leading the game unplayable with more friends.

What we already have done:
-KICKED ALL BOTS
-TURNED OFF ALL FIREWALLS (including on the antivirus)
-ADDED CSGO WARZONE TO EXCEPTION IN ANTIVIRUS
-DISABLED ALL ADAPTERS EXCEPT FROM THE WIRELESS ADAPTER
-INCREASED MAX PLAYERS

I repeat, I can play with my one friend ( 1 v 1 ), but when the other friend joined (1 v 2), my CSGO Crashes.

I am playing around with CSGO Warzone the last days to be able to host LAN games. I am still not 100% happy, but this is how I did it:

My suggestion is, that you host the game using an original (!) dedicated steam server.
This may sound hard, but in realitiy is quite easy!
You don't need to own CSGO on steam for that.
You don't even need a steam account.

Just follow this guide:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Dedicated Servers - Valve Developer Community)

Or just follow this short summary:
Download and install SteamCMD
Start SteamCMD
Issue those commands:
force_install_dir c:\csgo-ds-dedicated\ login anonymous app_update 740 validate

Now you have setup a basic CS-GO dedicated server. You only need to start it now. Also this is actually easy.
Start up the server (using srcds.exe within c:\csgo-ds-dedicated\), e.g. with this command from commandline:
srcds -game csgo -console -usercon +sv_lan 1 +game_type 1 +game_mode 1 +mapgroup mg_demolition +map de_lake
For convenience I created a batch file, that has this command inside, and then I just run the batch file. But it is also possible to just run it from the commandline. (Windows-key+R, "cmd")

Then start your normal csgo warzone and join this server which will show up in the "LAN"-Tab.

Note:
1. You can run the dedicated server on the same machine that you use for playing
2. You really need to get the srcds from steam: Using the srcds included in warzone will only run the server for a few minutes, after that it crashes

One temporary drawback: to this solution:
CSGO warzone clients' names won't show up in the scoreboard (I hope that there will be a fix on that somehow soon, but I don't get any replies to that issue from anyone so far :) )

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I am playing around with CSGO Warzone the last days to be able to host LAN games. I am still not 100% happy, but this is how I did it:

My suggestion is, that you host the game using an original (!) dedicated steam server.
This sound hard, but it is easy!
You don't need to own CSGO on steam for that.
You don't even need a steam account.

Just follow this guide:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Dedicated Servers - Valve Developer Community)

Or just follow this short summary:
Download and install SteamCMD
Start SteamCMD
Issue those commands:
force_install_dir c:\csgo-ds-dedicated\ login anonymous app_update 740 validate

Now you have a CS-GO dedicated server setup.
Start up the server (using srcds.exe within c:\csgo-ds-dedicated\), e.g. with this command from commandline:
srcds -game csgo -console -usercon +sv_lan 1 +game_type 1 +game_mode 1 +mapgroup mg_demolition +map de_lake

Then start csgo warzone and join this server which will show up in the "LAN"-Tab.

Note:
1. You can run the dedicated server on the same machine that you use for playing
2. You really need to get the srcds from steam: Using the srcds included in warzone will only run the server for a few minutes, after that it crashes

One temporary drawback: to this solution:
CSGO warzone clients' names won't show up in the scoreboard (I hope that there will be a fix on that somehow soon, but I don't get any replies to that issue from anyone so far :) )

Hope this helps
Thank you very much!
Will try that this week.

Thank you very much!
Will try that this week.

I tried this earlier. I could create the server, but I cannot join from the same PC. Whenever I try to connect, it just returns to the main screen. Is there some other option I need to set up on the server? "Friends can join", for example?

Did you use + sv_lan 1 when starting up the server? is the server listed in the LAN-Tab? Is it tagged as unsecure?

Nevermind! There was a new update (1.36.5.4) available. The server was on that version but the warzone not. I just updated and works like a charm! Cannot test with more than two players cause I lack enough PCs. Will try that next week.
Thank you very much!

Thats good!
Just a question in return since I am also struggeling and apparently no one has a lot of experience with LAN mode:
Do your connected players show up properly in the scoreboard (when you press TAB) or are they missing there? Are those two players both warzone clients?

For me all warzone client players are missing in the scoreboard. If I on the other hand connect with a steam csgo client to my dedicated server, this steam CSGO client shows up properly, whereas the warzone clients are still missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. Just watched your reply. Will try that now. I see there's a new version available: 1.36.5.4fix1. Perhaps it solves this issue.

Thats good!
Just a question in return since I am also struggeling and apparently no one has a lot of experience with LAN mode:
Do your connected players show up properly in the scoreboard (when you press TAB) or are they missing there? Are those two players both warzone clients?

For me all warzone client players are missing in the scoreboard. If I on the other hand connect with a steam csgo client to my dedicated server, this steam CSGO client shows up properly, whereas the warzone clients are still missing.

Sorry. Just watched your reply. Will try that now. I see there's a new version available: 1.36.5.4fix1. Perhaps it solves this issue.

OK. Just tested. My name doesn't show either. I see some comments in the server saying:
S3: Client connected with invalid ticket: User ID: 2

It may have something to do with this.

We just had our LAN-Party with 16 guys...about the half owning CS GO regulary on steam. The others had the Warzone edition. It was kind of annoying, because all those Warzone clients were missing in scoreboard and it was also hard to figure out, how many are still alive this way (at list the scoreboard counter of the team size was correct). So we just played armsrace and demolition.
I am a little bit disappointed, that no one from the "development team" or administrators seams to have an eye on this problem and give a statement and also not added this to the current list of known bugs. I even wrote a private message explaining the issue and asked for advice. No response, but I guess they have more important things to fix, since LAN is not very popular anymore.

Anyways: Since our LAN-Party is over, and we had to play with the corrupted version with the annoying bug, I don't have any current interest on getting this fixed anymore. It has passed.
Maybe my interest grows again in one or two years when we have a next LAN-Party and maybe it will work then again. Until then I will just play the steam-version.
See you then

We just had our LAN-Party with 16 guys...about the half owning CS GO regulary on steam. The others had the Warzone edition. It was kind of annoying, because all those Warzone clients were missing in scoreboard and it was also hard to figure out, how many are still alive this way (at list the scoreboard counter of the team size was correct). So we just played armsrace and demolition.
I am a little bit disappointed, that no one from the "development team" or administrators seams to have an eye on this problem and give a statement and also not added this to the current list of known bugs. I even wrote a private message explaining the issue and asked for advice. No response, but I guess they have more important things to fix, since LAN is not very popular anymore.

Anyways: Since our LAN-Party is over, and we had to play with the corrupted version with the annoying bug, I don't have any current interest on getting this fixed anymore. It has passed.
Maybe my interest grows again in one or two years when we have a next LAN-Party and maybe it will work then again. Until then I will just play the steam-version.
See you then
Actually, yesterday we tried playing and the scoreboard was OK. Don't know how/when it happened. Did you try again?

maybe it is already fixed, which would be nice? But as stated our LAN-party is over.
I would need to set up the machines to test, but they are all stored away right now. I will check it again when we do something similar again..maybe one year from now. Hopefully it will still work then :)
But thanks for the encouraging feedback!

I also had this problem, when two or more clients connected, the server crashes. The only solution was to create a dedicated server.
It's very easy create a dedicated server in Linux with Linux Game Server Managers https://linuxgsm.com/lgsm/csgoserver/ (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - LinuxGSM)
I create it with Ubuntu Server 18.04 and use this tutorial to crack https://cswarzone.com/forums/threads/install-cs-go-no-steam-server-linux.5350/ (Install CS:GO No-Steam Server [Linux] - ★WaRzOnE★ ▏ Forum)
It works fine.

Back